Questions to Ask When Shopping for Replacement Windows
Window shopping can be overwhelming, especially if it’s your first time making a purchase like this for your home. Here are some great tips on what to ask your window retailer:
Do you charge for an estimate?
- Some installers will charge for a visit to your home. Not us. We always offer a FREE in-home estimate. We pride ourselves in our customer care and love educating clients in the market for windows and doors on their choices.
Are you insured & licensed?
- Anyone can attempt to install a window, but what happens when someone insured breaks something or gets hurt? Are you liable? Are they? We are a properly insured & licensed window company in case anything ever goes wrong.
How long have you been in business?
- 47 Years! Length of time in business can give you some key insights into an installer’s background. If they’re brand new, be sure to ask their background and how many jobs they’ve completed knowing they are properly trained. Gravina’s Window Center of Littleton has been in business for over 47 years and our staff is highly trained experts in both window sales and installation. You’d be hard-pressed to ask a question to our sales staff they don’t know the answer too – they’ve really seen it all.
Which window do you use most or recommend?
- Your installer should be an expert in their field and in the knowledge of their product. In Colorado specifically, we have unique weather conditions that require special substrates and treatment to our windows to make them effective against our harsh weather conditions. A fiberglass window is the best solution for our climate, and not all fiberglass windows are made equally. Ask your installer about how the window is crafted, what gas and coatings are on the glass itself, what the substrate of the window frame is made from. All of these details are important in understanding the lifespan of your window. With all that being said we recommend the Infinity from Marvin window.
Do you use subcontractors?
- Using subcontractors can open up your project to a multitude of variables, but most important can mess with your timelines and the quality of the installation. Ask your dealer who is on their team – at Gravina’s we employ highly trained installers who are never subcontracted out. This allows us to keep our schedules for projects and also uphold our installation quality and warranties.
What sort of payment or financing packages do you have?
- Financing windows can be an unexpected cost, and we understand that not everyone has money lying around to make large unplanned purchases. We offer special financing, including a no-interest, no-down-payment option. Our sales consultants can even advise on how to phase or prioritize your project to fit your needs and budget at the same time.
What is covered by my manufacturer’s warranty? Do you offer an installation warranty?
- Be sure to read the fine print on your bids and contracts – some companies will offer a warranty on the frame and glass, but not the installation or hardware. Others will offer a “lifetime” warranty with so many stipulations that normal rain or even opening your window means they’re not liable for repairs or replacement. We will happily walk you through our installation and manufacturer’s warranties – Yes! We offer both!
Who handles project cleanup?
- Some installers only will remove your windows/doors and install the new ones, leaving you with large pieces to dispose of yourself. This can prove to be troublesome for carrying the large units out, finding a place to dispose of them and you may even incur additional costs to have a waste management service come to take them away from your home. With Gravina’s, we always take care of the cleanup and we even wash the glass so you can relax and enjoy the view.
Do you offer painting, siding, etc. touchups in your packages?
- Sometimes when using a company or contractor, you also need to project manage the rest of the project in terms of clean up, brickwork, siding touchups, or even painting and staining. We try to make every project with us as seamless as possible…we can bundle in custom staining and painting and even coordinate touch-ups to your exterior or brickwork if needed when changing the size of an opening or style of window/door. We pride ourselves in an effortless process from start to finish.